Today I’m sharing why I always recommend first-looks to my couples! First looks have easily become one of the most beneficial “modern” additions to a wedding day. Tradition has it that typically a couple would see each other for the first time as they walked down the aisle, however nowadays, seeing one another BEFORE the ceremony has become fairly popular. Personally, I think first-looks are awesome, and I always recommend them.
1. On average, you get to spend about 3-4 hours MORE with your significant other on your wedding day (that’s huge!)
2. First looks are frequently more emotional and meaningful than seeing each other down the aisle.
*Are you afraid you’ll miss that “epic moment” down the aisle? If that’s the case, I’d say that 99% of my couples STILL got choked up again walking down the aisle even though they saw one another before. All your favorite people in one room, music, tears… that moment is still so incredibly special even if you saw each other earlier. I’ve found a lot of my couples feel pretty jittery and anxious until they see each other for the first time. So the first look allows them to shake out all the nerves and relax a lot earlier in the day. Therefore, they can be more in the moment when it’s time to walk down the aisle.*
3. A first-look allows you to enjoy time with your friends during cocktail hour because we aren’t scrambling for photos. Bring on the apps and drinks and go mingle!
4. We aren’t rushed to do your portraits, family portraits, AND wedding party photos during cocktail hour (not rushed = better photos).
5. You’d likely not need to add more time to your already packed schedule to accommodate more portrait time.
All this to say, I won’t force any of my couples to do a first look! This is your day and you should do it exactly how YOU want! I just feel it really does make things run very smoothly and often allows my couples to live more in the moment on their wedding day.
To stay up to date with me and my life as a wedding photographer, follow me HERE on the ‘gram!
Do you want to learn more about my engagement and wedding photography packages? Click HERE to get in touch with me!